How to Floss
It’s not enough to just brush daily, but you need to properly floss on a daily basis as well proper flossing is much easier than you think and can drastically improve your oral health.
What is the Right Way to Floss?
Proper flossing removes plaque and food particles in places where a toothbrush cannot easily reach – under the gumline and between your teeth. Because plaque build-up can lead to tooth decay and gum disease, Your Dentistry at Morgan Hill Dental is highly recommend daily flossing.
Proper Flossing Technique
The American Dental Association recommends the following proper technique:
- Use about 18 inches of floss wound around one of your middle fingers, with the rest wound around the opposite middle finger.
- Hold the floss tightly between the thumbs and forefingers and gently insert it between the teeth.
- Curve the floss into a “C” shape against the side of the tooth.
- Rub the floss gently up and down, keeping it pressed against the tooth. Don’t jerk or snap the floss.
- Floss all your teeth. Don’t forget to floss behind your back teeth.
Our Sacramento dentists are happy to quickly demonstrate best flossing practices and walk you through this simple process. We even have some helpful and fun flossing aids available in our Sacramento dental office.
What Type of Floss Should I Use?
There are just two main types of dental floss, nylon floss (or multifilament) and PTFE (or single filament) floss.
You can find nylon floss in both waxed and unwaxed varieties. This floss is typically made from many strings of nylon, so it may tear or break more easily when flossing between your teeth.
PTFE or single filament floss is usually more expense, but is much more smooth and easily slides between your teeth. It really doesn’t matter which kind of floss you use as long as you use it properly and often. By doing so, you will be protecting your teeth by removing plaque and debris, and preventing cavities and gum disease.
We Look Forward to Meeting You!
We are just off 101 with ample parking in Madrone Plaza, Morgan Hill
Discover Efficient, Predictable, And Convenient Dentistry
Monday 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Tuesday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Wednesday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Thursday by Appointment
Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Saturday 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Sunday – by Appointment